Oral History and Tradition

Oral History and Tradition

Postby zackg » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:50 am

In Morrowind, you can pick up books and gain attributes and skills depending on the rarity of the book. For Dunmer, and most other races, this is an acceptable way to gain knowledge and have the NPC explore different areas. For Argonia's purpose, I think that things should be a little different. Beast races aren't necessarily known for their writing ability, nor do they have an anatomy that really allows for it. In a more traditional, colorful presentation, I think the player should be able to gain attributes and skills from speaking with peculiar historians, "medicine men", and storytellers. Sometimes the player will have to perform tasks to get the storyteller etc to speak up, sometimes they will have to pay, and other times for the more hidden storytellers they will just have to locate them.
zackg

Re: Oral History and Tradition

Postby SGMonkey » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:38 am

Sounds like a sensible idea. Doesn't make a great deal of sense for Argonians to go around reading books to learn everything.

I don't think you should write it off completely however. I think there should still be books to learn from. Maybe just in the few imperial settlements dotted around in the north(?) (Not read into Argonia in a while)
SGMonkey
Site Admin

Re: Oral History and Tradition

Postby zackg » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:59 pm

Right, this was mostly for Argonian's themselves, especially ones who aren't exactly keen on Imperial influence which would include the majority of them. Imperials and similar mer and men would continue their own tradition of written word, as would the very occasional Argonian.
zackg

Return to Literature